Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 4 Post-Op

Weight update - 250.8  :)

Non Scale Victory (NSV) - had a few spare inches on the belt buckle on the plane - rather than me breaking out in a sweat to fasten it!  Yahoo!!!!

Went for a visit with my PCP (Primary Care Physician) and the last time she saw me was 3 months ago - when she wrote my referral for the surgery.... She saw me and was very pleased.  Blood pressure was 110/59, weight down almost 40 lbs since I saw her.  She is drawing labs... hopefully A1C will be lower too.  

I transition to a regular diet next week.  I'm looking forward to it... but a bit frightened at the same time.  I think it will be easier for me to recognize when I am full - versus the soft "slider" foods.  I really need to get better about exercising though.

TMI warning:

I had always read that you needed to use 2 forms of birth control after surgery.  This is due to the high release of estrogen with weight loss.  I decided to use the Mirena IUD.  It lasts 5 years and also releases a hormone like the pill does.  I didn't want to have to rely on the pill... because - right now I have issues remembering to take all my vitamins, and secondly - a close friend of mine just became pregnant on the pill.

So - with that being said - I had my Mirena appointment.  A few notes - it is easier to insert if you have already have had a child. (I have not.) Secondly - you may want to take a Valium for anxiety and/or Vicodin for pain.  Hell yes it hurt... I yelled cuss words and apologized to my doc.  She said "it happens..."  LOL

I also almost passed out and then vomited.... she also said it was a normal pain response.  I took tylenol every 6 hours.  I'm still taking it today...  still having mild cramping.  But - the good news - the procedure only takes 3 minutes.

If anyone has any questions about anything I've posted... please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through the sleeve forum. I'm interested in getting the surgery myself so I'm very excited to read about your journey. Please keep posting! :) Also, I recently had the paragard (hormone-free iud) inserted and it was a horrible experience. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one screaming profanities. :)

    ReplyDelete