Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Week 7 Post Op - Lessons in Staying Hydrated

Good news... down to 242.8!  Woo hoo!!
BTW - more progress pics are posted.  I'm noticing a difference in the waist this time :)

Now... the big lesson in the past week.  YOU MUST STAY HYDRATED!!  Learn from my major mistake.  I was touring stores with my boss and a few other counterparts.  I did well by taking my vitamins and eating breakfast before we got started.  I brought a few snacks with me and water... but it was in my bag - out of reach  (since we all put our bags down to take notes.)

It had only been 2 hours since I ate something... but I was already behind on liquids.

I was standing in the middle of the mall - in front of a store with my group I was touring with.  My legs started feeling funny... kinda tingly.  I chalked it up to standing still in high heels.  Next... I started to get hot. (Note - I never get hot since surgery... so this should have been a red flag.)  Then my hearing started to fade... at this point I knew I was in trouble.  I knew I was getting ready to pass out (or faint.).

Next thing I knew... I woke up on the marble floor in the middle of the mall - laying on my back!  My boss and everyone else was looking at me.  Mall security was there - EMS was called...  SIGH!

Long story short - PLEASE stay hydrated!  I had recently gotten bloodwork back and knew that my potassium (a key electrolyte) was on the low side of the scale.  This coupled with not drinking for a few hours, anxiety of the store tours and standing up (with possibly locked knees) contributed to a low blood pressure which caused me to faint.

My head hurt for hours with no end.  Called my surgeon's office to tell them what happened.  (I called them at 10 minutes to closing)  They had me come in the next day for testing.  They sent me to the hospital for a CT scan as well.

All is clear... I knew I had a hard head! ;)

All joking aside.... I keep a bottle of water near me at all times now.... maybe you should do the same.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! I am considering getting the sleeve. I am also in Houston, who was your surgeon if you dont mind me asking? Good luck on your continued journey!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa!

    I am a patient at The Davis Clinic. I went with Dr. Primomo. He is the new one there - but he is excellent!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete